Norman Soucie Photograph Collection
Scope and Contents
Collection of photographs depicting woods work and woods life in the region of Allagash and Saint John, Maine, between 1900 and 1930.
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Conditions Governing Use
Rights assessment remains the responsibility of the researcher. No known restrictions on material.
Language of Materials
Norman Soucie photo collection, 1974, Allagash and St. John, Maine. Collection of 36 black and white photographs depicting woods work and woods life in the region of Allagash and Saint John, Maine, ca. 1900-1930. Images show men working in batteaux (boats) to free jammed logs and other aspects of river work; scenes of lumber operations along the river; woods scenes showing Lombard log hauler; pulpwood train; sleds; camp scenes; horses; sluiceways; log piles; log marks; sorting gap; river rapids; cribwork piers, etc. Photos: P00453 - P00487.
Existence and Location of Originals
Located at the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress: AFC 2012/047 https://lccn.loc.gov/2013655211.
- Folklore Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lumbering -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photograph collections -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to Norman Soucie Photo Collection
- Digital Objects Available
- Thomas Libby
- May 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States