"The Last Smokehouse" Film Project
Scope and Contents
Collections consists of video received from filmmaker Truppin relating to the 1989 film project about the dying of the herring smoking industry on the coast of Maine. The project was called “The Last Smokehouse: Lubec and the Herring Smoking Industry of Maine.”
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (email@example.com).
Conditions Governing Use
Rights assessment remains the responsibility of the researcher.
Language of Materials
NA2604 Made by Truppin, Andrea, 1989, coast of Maine. Accession consists of two videos received from filmmaker Truppin relating to her 1989 film project about the dying of the herring smoking industry on the coast of Maine. The project was called “The Last Smokehouse” [not full title]. Also included: an audio recording. Recordings: mfc_na2604_v0185 12 minutes, mfc_na2604_v0186 9 minutes, mfc_na2604_v0324 30 minutes.
Existence and Location of Originals
Located at the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress: AFC 2012/047 https://lccn.loc.gov/2013655211.
"The Last Smokehouse: Lubec and the Herring Smoking Industry of Maine” was a film project funded by the Payson Foundation and Maine Humanities Council in 1990.
- Folklore Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Herring industry -- Maine -- Lubec Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the "The Last Smokehouse" Film Project
- Digital Objects Available
- Amanda Marden
- April 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States