Islands and Bridges: Communities of Memory in Old Town, Maine/French Island Collection
Scope and Contents
A 1992 community based oral history project co-sponsored by the Maine Folklife Center and the Franco-American Center at the University of Maine generated a series of 35 interviews focusing on the culture and history of the French Canadian immigrant community located on French Island, Old Town, Maine. The project also resulted in a book of photographs, interview excerpts, and articles, Nos Histoires de I’lle: History and memories of French Island, Old Town, Maine (1999) (http://francolib.francoamerican.org/items/show/992).
- Creation: 1992-1993
- Bishop, James J. (Interviewer, Person)
- Comeau, Alan (Interviewer, Person)
- Nichols, Carol (Interviewer, Person)
- Michaud, Albert (Interviewer, Person)
- St. Louis, Adeline Connie (Interviewer, Person)
- Medieros, Betty Thibodeau (Interviewer, Person)
- Morin, Amy Bouchard (Interviewer, Person)
- Ouellette, Barbara (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (email@example.com).
Conditions Governing Use
Rights assessment remains the responsibility of the researcher. No known restrictions on material.
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Originals
Located at the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress: AFC 2012/047 https://lccn.loc.gov/2013655211.
Materials Specific Details
Audio files are the primary source material. Transcriptions are the transcriber's best effort to convert audio to text, but should be considered secondary to the audio.
- Guide to the Islands and Bridges: Communities of Memory in Old Town, Maine/French Island Collection
- Digital Objects Available
- Amanda Marden
- April 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States