ANT 325 Halloween Holiday Traditions Collection
Scope and Contents
Material collected for ANT 325 (Oral History and Folklore: Fieldwork), fall 1985. Class materials collected pertaining to Halloween traditions in Maine. Eight-two individual accessions including tapes and transcripts and note cards containing citations of Halloween references in late 19th and early 20th century Maine newspapers. Interviewee ages range from 8 to 88 years old. Topics discussed include costumes; trick or treating; school and parties; Halloween treats; Finnish Easter; pranks; pumpkins/jack o' lanterns; Miscellaneous manuscript materials generated by the Halloween Project include letter describing Halloween in Scotland, interview questions, newspaper clippings and various items having to do with Halloween.
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Conditions Governing Use
Rights assessment remains the responsibility of the researcher. Known restrictions on material NA1887.
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Originals
Located at the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress: AFC 2012/047 https://lccn.loc.gov/2013655211.
Materials Specific Details
Audio files are the primary source material. Transcriptions are the transcriber's best effort to convert audio to text, but should be considered secondary to the audio.
- Folklore Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Halloween Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Maine -- Social Life and Customs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Students -- Papers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the ANT 325 Halloween Holiday Traditions Collection
- Digital Objects Available
- Amanda Marden
- April 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States