Harvey E. Wallingford, interviewed by Vaun E. Born
Scope and Contents
A series of 51 interviews about the history of Portland, Maine with index and partial and full transcripts. The Victoria Society, fall 1992. Interviews concerning life in Portland during the 1930s to the 1940s, most interviewees are 75 years old or older.
- Born, Vaun E. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (firstname.lastname@example.org).
From the Collection: 36 items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
NA3154 Harvey E. Wallingford, interviewed by Vaun E. Born, March 12 and 29, 1985, South Portland. Wallingford, born August 4, 1893, in Alfred, Maine, recalls growing up; moving to Portland in 1916 with wife Sarah; Boston and Maine Railroad (retired 1958); recalls youth on Alfred farm; 1918 Flu Epidemic; Riverton Park; Cape Elizabeth Casino; Keith’s and Jefferson Theatres; Union Station; Cliff Island; Portland and Rochester Railroad and the Inter-urban to Lewiston; colony of Shakers in Alfred. Text: information sheet; 5 pp. index and notes; 11 pp. transcript. Recording: C 1008 45 minutes.
- Alfred (Me.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Covenants (Church polity) -- Shakers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Influenza Epidemic, 1918-1919 -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral history Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Portland (Me.) -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Portland (Me.) -- History -- Anecdotes Subject Source: Local sources
- Portland (Me.) -- Social Life and Customs -- 20th century Subject Source: Local sources
- Wallingford, Harvey E., 1893-1987 (Person)
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States