Elizabeth Ring, interviewed by Martha Timothy
Scope and Contents
A series of 51 interviews about the history of Portland, Maine with index and partial and full transcripts. The Victoria Society, fall 1992. Interviews concerning life in Portland during the 1930s to the 1940s, most interviewees are 75 years old or older.
- Timothy, Martha A. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (firstname.lastname@example.org).
From the Collection: 36 items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
NA3150 Elizabeth Ring, interviewed by Martha Timothy, April 5, 1984, Portland, Maine. Ring, born 1902 in Orono, recalls family history; growing up; taught in Plymouth, New Hampshire; Depression; University of Maine at Orono; founding Greater Portland Landmarks, Inc. and Maine League of Historical Societies and Museums; having major influence on Maine Historical Society; Maine Travel Course and Maine Department of Education; being a Fellow in Economics and Politics at Bryn Mawr; receiving Coe Research Fund Grant; being State Research Editor of Historical Records Survey (Maine) and Chairman of the History Department, Deering High School, Portland. Text: information sheet; 4 pp. index; 7 pp. biography; 9 pp. selected transcription. Recording: C 1021 90 minutes.
- Depressions -- 1929 -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral history Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Portland (Me.) -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Portland (Me.) -- History -- Anecdotes Subject Source: Local sources
- Portland (Me.) -- Social Life and Customs -- 20th century Subject Source: Local sources
- Women -- Employment -- Maine -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ring, Elizabeth, 1902-1997 (Person)
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States