Vergn E. Hewes, interviewed by Martha A. Timothy
Scope and Contents
A series of 51 interviews about the history of Portland, Maine with index and partial and full transcripts. The Victoria Society, fall 1992. Interviews concerning life in Portland during the 1930s to the 1940s, most interviewees are 75 years old or older.
- Timothy, Martha A. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (firstname.lastname@example.org).
From the Collection: 36 items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
NA3135 Vergn E. Hewes, interviewed by Martha A. Timothy, February 15, 1985, Saco, Maine. Hewes, born in Montreal, Canada on January 1, 1889, recalls growing up in Saco; remodeling Victorian house; Farmington Academy; Farmington State College; Lillian Nautica; taught at Machias High School; Jay High School and Waynflete School; Campfire Girls and Camp Laughing Moon Director; Thornton Academy Tea House; Red Cross; Flu Epidemic of 1918; Grange; Congregational and Unitarian Churches; W. E. Eulins clothing store; Dyer Library; York Institute. Text: 18 pp. index, transcript. Recording: C 0998 1 1/2 hours.
- Influenza Epidemic, 1918-1919 -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral history Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Portland (Me.) -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Portland (Me.) -- History -- Anecdotes Subject Source: Local sources
- Portland (Me.) -- Social Life and Customs -- 20th century Subject Source: Local sources
- Teachers -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Employment -- Maine -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hewes, Vergn E., 1889-1992 (Person)
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States