Dorothy Mason Craig, interviewed by Margaret M. Crane
Scope and Contents
A series of 51 interviews about the history of Portland, Maine with index and partial and full transcripts. The Victoria Society, fall 1992. Interviews concerning life in Portland during the 1930s to the 1940s, most interviewees are 75 years old or older.
- Crane, Margaret M. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (email@example.com).
From the Collection: 36 items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
NA3130 Dorothy Mason Craig, interviewed by Margaret M. Crane, May 20, 1988, Portland, Maine. Craig, b. May 27, 1899, talks about her parents (Harry and Maude Cobb Mason); her father managing West End Hotel; her childhood there; education; summers in Bath or Mechanic Falls; Portland; the trolley; automobiles; hotel life; cultural activities; dancing; professional dancing; teaching at the Settlement House at Street Bartholomew’s Boys Club in New York City; Miss Emerson; LA and Peaks Island; Gem Theater; Annual Maine Music Festival; William Rogers Chapman; Caruso; Gallicurci; Geraldine Ferrar; Frenstedt; Mary Gardner; LaFayette Hotel; Lawyer Hinckley and Gov. Millikin’s movie company; “Girl of the Limberlost”; Vaudeville at Keith’s; Dorothy Mason School of Dance (previously Emerson’s school); sold it in 1965; dance styles; marriage to John Craig in 1943; students. Text: information sheet; 5 pp. index. Recording: C 0992 45 minutes.
- Dance Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gem Theatre (1884-1934) (Peaks Island (Me.))
- Oral history Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Portland (Me.) -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Portland (Me.) -- History -- Anecdotes Subject Source: Local sources
- Portland (Me.) -- Social Life and Customs -- 20th century Subject Source: Local sources
- Vaudeville Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Employment -- Maine -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Craig, Dorothy Mason, 1899-1989 (Person)
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States