Barbara Cloutier, interviewed by Lucia P. Smith
Scope and Contents
A series of 51 interviews about the history of Portland, Maine with index and partial and full transcripts. The Victoria Society, fall 1992. Interviews concerning life in Portland during the 1930s to the 1940s, most interviewees are 75 years old or older.
- Smith, Lucia P. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (firstname.lastname@example.org).
From the Collection: 36 items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
NA3129 Barbara R. Cloutier, interviewed by Lucia P. Smith, April 16, 1984, Portland, Maine. Cloutier, born February 14, 1900 in Loughaunbeg, County Galway, Ireland, recalls being an Irish immigrant in Portland; the black and tans (British troops) in Ireland; Commercial Street; staying with her aunt; sister Danforth Street; Bald Mountain and Mooselookmeguntic Lake; life in Ireland; Irish-Americans; vegetarian household; habits of employers; Hibernian Hall; the funnies and Andy Gump; missing Ireland; black and tans randomly killing dairy cows; looking for Sinn Féin members; Bolster’s Mills in Harrison; Old Orchard; Peaks Island; marrying and living in Rumford; St. Barbara; Patron of Thunder; blind employer. Text: information sheet; 1 pp. index; 9 pp. transcript. Recording: C 0991, CD 0968 75 minutes.
- Immigrants -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Irish in America -- Maine Subject Source: Local sources
- Oral history Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Portland (Me.) -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Portland (Me.) -- History -- Anecdotes Subject Source: Local sources
- Portland (Me.) -- Social Life and Customs -- 20th century Subject Source: Local sources
- Vegetarianism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Employment -- Maine -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States