W. Charles Smith, Sr., interviewed by Joyce Butler
Scope and Contents
The “Wildfire Loose” Collection consists of a series of 37 interviews conducted by Joyce Butler in preparation for her book of the same title about the fires in Maine in October 1947. Donated in 1979.
- Butler, Joyce (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (firstname.lastname@example.org).
From the Collection: 37 items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
1235 W. Charles Smith, Sr., interviewed by Joyce Butler, December 12, 1977, Saco, Maine. Smith talks about the fires of 1947 in York County; progression of the fire around Saco; attempts of homeowners to keep houses wet; fighting side fires; dead animals; areas and buildings that did not burn; talk of arson which he did not believe; and the community’s fire consciousness afterwards.
- Arson Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Firefighting Subject Source: Local sources
- Natural disasters Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Saco -- Maine Subject Source: Local sources
- Wildfires Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- York County (Me.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Smith, W. Charles, Sr. (Person)
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States