Frank Handlen, interviewed by Joyce Butler
Scope and Contents
The “Wildfire Loose” Collection consists of a series of 37 interviews conducted by Joyce Butler in preparation for her book of the same title about the fires in Maine in October 1947. Donated in 1979.
- Butler, Joyce (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (firstname.lastname@example.org).
From the Collection: 37 items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
1228 Frank Handlen, interviewed by Joyce Butler, September 9, 1977, Kennebunkport, Maine. Handlen discusses his experience of the 1947 wildfires in the Biddeford – Kennebunkport area; sight of the smoke; fire coming through and description of it; a man who saved his house; lack of organized firefighting; fire lingering in a bog and loss of trees; how Goose Rocks burned; and a house that was spared.
- Arson Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Biddeford (Me.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Firefighting Subject Source: Local sources
- Goose Rocks Beach -- Kennebunkport -- Maine Subject Source: Local sources
- Kennebunkport (Me.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Natural disasters Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wildfires Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States