Bill Donahue, interviewed by Laura Finkel
Scope and Contents
A series of fifteen interviews recorded between 1994 - 1997 by Laura Finkel concerning anti-war movement, protests, and activities on the campus at the University of Maine during the Vietnam War era (1964 - 1973).
- From the Collection: Finkel, Laura (Interviewer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (firstname.lastname@example.org).
From the Collection: 17 items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
2562 Bill Donahue, interviewed by Laura Finkel, March 31, 1997, Bangor, Maine. Donahue discusses Vietnam-era protests and activism at the University of Maine; protesting Dow Chemical recruitment; the university administration’s response to protest events; Old Town shoe strike; Students for a Democratic Society [SDS] and its close ties to the Communist Party; speakers SDS brought to campus; SDS nationally becoming extremist; involvement with educational reform; a meat cutters strike; key individuals in the UMaine activist movement; anti-draft counseling; methods for avoiding the draft, particularly the use of amphetamines; and UMaine President Libby’s role in preventing violent confrontations. Text: 36 pp. transcript. Recording: C 1667 1.5 hours.
- Communism -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Draft resisters Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Social control -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Students for a Democratic Society (U.S.)
- Universities and colleges -- Administration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Maine
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Maine -- Protest movements Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States