Stephen E. Sterns, interviewed by Colleen Keef
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a series of interviews conducted from 1974 to 1980 by students for a course (IDL 105, Women in Maine: An Autobiographical Approach) taught by Maryann Hartman in the department of Speech and Communications at the University of Maine. Students asked a variety of informants for their opinions about the present and future roles of women in Maine. Each informant discussed this in the context of their own lives and experiences, therefore the individual interviews cover a wide range of topics.
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (firstname.lastname@example.org).
From the Collection: 58 items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
1004 Stephen E. Sterns interviewed by Colleen Keef on November 2, 1975, Orono, Maine. Stearns, from Biddeford, Maine, discusses his childhood, games, and chores; working during his youth; his parents' gender roles; the assassinations of President Kennedy and Martin Luther King, Jr.; his views of the ideal man and woman; his service in Vietnam; his views on gun control, women's liberation, social hostility, hatred, and the media. Text: 35 pp. w/brief cat. and trans. Recording: T 1016. Approx. 64 min.
- Child rearing -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Childhood Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Games Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gender, sexuality & culture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963
- King, M. Luther (Martin Luther), 1899-1965
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Personal narratives Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Womens, Gender, and Sexuality Studies -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sterns, Stephen E. (Person)
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States