Robert Bourget, interviewed by Rhonda Lee Walfield
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a series of interviews conducted from 1974 to 1980 by students for a course (IDL 105, Women in Maine: An Autobiographical Approach) taught by Maryann Hartman in the department of Speech and Communications at the University of Maine. Students asked a variety of informants for their opinions about the present and future roles of women in Maine. Each informant discussed this in the context of their own lives and experiences, therefore the individual interviews cover a wide range of topics.
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (firstname.lastname@example.org).
From the Collection: 58 items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
1319 Robert Bourget, interviewed by Rhonda Lee Walfield, March 20, 1980, Bath, Maine. Bourget talks about events and trends of the mid-twentieth century; the growth of purchase on credit; early television; his WWII Navy service; corruption and problems with the political system; Kennedy’s assassination and his disbelief at the official stance on it; American dependence on foreign oil; his views on women’s equality; and the Battle of Iwo Jima and why dropping the atomic bomb was necessary. Text: 32 pp. transcript. Recording: T 1440 1 hour. mfc_na1319_t1440_01.
- Atomic bomb -- Japan -- Hiroshima-shi -- History Subject Source: Local sources
- Equality before the law Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iwo Jima, Battle of, Japan, 1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963
- Political assassination Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Television -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women's rights -- United States -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Maine -- Personal narratives Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States