Dr. Joyce White, interviewed by Marietta Flagg
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a series of interviews conducted from 1974 to 1980 by students for a course (IDL 105, Women in Maine: An Autobiographical Approach) taught by Maryann Hartman in the department of Speech and Communications at the University of Maine. Students asked a variety of informants for their opinions about the present and future roles of women in Maine. Each informant discussed this in the context of their own lives and experiences, therefore the individual interviews cover a wide range of topics.
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (email@example.com).
From the Collection: 58 items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
1195 Dr. Joyce White, interviewed by Marietta Flagg, April 14 – May 13, 1978, Newport, Maine. White discusses her childhood in the area of Canaan, Maine, in the 1930s and 40s; the sense of disaster during the Great Depression; responsibilities, recreation, and education; sexual mores of the late 1940s/early 1950s; rationing and recycling during WWII, including picking milkweed pods; her personal growth when she returned to college in 1967; regrets over her attempts to raise perfect children; the problem with values in the 1970s; how psychology could be misused to keep people in “the system”; her unconventional approach to psychology; and the importance of Kennedy’s assassination and WWII. Text: 20 pp., incomplete transcript, plus 5 pp. catalog. Recording: T 1254 1 ½ hours. mfc_na1195_t1254_01, mfc_na1195_t1254_02.
- Canaan (Me.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Child rearing -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Depressions -- 1929 -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gender, sexuality & culture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963
- Women -- Maine -- Education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States