Russell Christensen, interviewed by Maryellen McCallum
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a series of interviews conducted from 1974 to 1980 by students for a course (IDL 105, Women in Maine: An Autobiographical Approach) taught by Maryann Hartman in the department of Speech and Communications at the University of Maine. Students asked a variety of informants for their opinions about the present and future roles of women in Maine. Each informant discussed this in the context of their own lives and experiences, therefore the individual interviews cover a wide range of topics.
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (email@example.com).
From the Collection: 58 items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
1136 Russell Christensen, interviewed by Maryellen McCallum, December 2, 1977, Orono, Maine. Christensen talks about his childhood in Gardiner, Maine, in the 1930s and 40s; jobs he held; finding the strength to be open about his Marxist beliefs; significance of Trotsky’s murder; reaction to Kennedy’s assassination; his view of women’s liberation; military service in Korea and desire to emulate WWII heroes; dire predictions for the future unless humanity embraces socialism; and China as a model of the good socialism can do. Text: 20 pp. transcript, plus 2 pp. catalog. Recording: T 1198 ½ hour, C 0502 1/4 hour. mfc_na1136_c0502_01, mfc_na1136_c0502_02, mfc_na1136_t1198_01.
- Equality before the law Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gardiner (Me.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Political assassination Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Socialism -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Trotsky, Leon, 1879-1940
- Women's rights -- United States -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States