Ruth Ann (Hall) True, interviewed by Linda True
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a series of interviews conducted from 1974 to 1980 by students for a course (IDL 105, Women in Maine: An Autobiographical Approach) taught by Maryann Hartman in the department of Speech and Communications at the University of Maine. Students asked a variety of informants for their opinions about the present and future roles of women in Maine. Each informant discussed this in the context of their own lives and experiences, therefore the individual interviews cover a wide range of topics.
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (email@example.com).
From the Collection: 58 items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
1097 Ruth True, interviewed by Linda True, October 31 – November 29, 1976, in Orono, Maine. True discusses World War II and its impacts on life in Orono; rationing and the difficulty of planning meals; land made available at the University of Maine for victory gardens; recycling and volunteering for the war effort; blackouts and dimouts; joining the Navy as a hospital aide; teaching blind servicemen life skills; why she chose not to join the celebrations on Victory in Japan Day; her Navy uniforms; advantages of being in the military in terms of preferential treatment and reduced fares; radio shows of the 1930s; the importance of education in her family; changing perceptions of smoking and women smokers between the 1940s and 1970s; aircraft spotting during WWII; and the shooting of the Brady Gang in Bangor. Text: 27 pp. incomplete transcript, plus 6 pp. catalog. Recording: T 1121 – T 1123 1 hour. mfc_na1097_t1121_01, mfc_na1097_t1121_02, mfc_na1097_t1122_01, mfc_na1097_t1123_01.
- Blackouts in war Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Brady, Alfred, 1910-1937
- Education -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Radio broadcasting Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rationing -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tobacco use -- Maine -- Women Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- V-J Day, 1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Maine -- Women Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States