Robert Hiller, interviewed by Morgiana Halley
Scope and Contents
Two series by Morgiana P. Halley, one dealing with marine disasters in Newfoundland folk balladry and the other with marine convoys of World War II.
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (email@example.com).
From the Collection: 2 items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
NA4294 Robert Hiller, interviewed by Morgiana Halley, December 14, 1989, aboard the S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien, Fort Mason, San Francisco, CA. Topics include: age going to sea; Pacific convoys; recreation aboard ship; cargo; mutiny and court martial of a ship's gun crew near New Guinea; anecdotes about shipmates; initiation of Greenhorns; race relations aboard ship; jinx and superstitions; kamikaze attacks. Audiofile: c752, 1 hr. Interview summary. Text: 2 pp.
- Kamikaze airplanes Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Liberty ships -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Merchant marine -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- SS Jeremiah O'Brien. (Liberty Ship)
- SS William S. Ladd. (Liberty ship}
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States