Stephen "Rex" Buzzell, interviewed by Ann Pierter and Susan Tibbetts
Scope and Contents
The Argyle Boom Collection consists of approximately seventy-five hours of tape recorded interviews (now digitized). The interviews deal with Argyle Boom, which was one of several locations at which logs that had been cut upriver and floated or “driven” down the Penobscot River were sorted before being sent on to the lumber mills in Old Town, Orono, Veazie, Bangor, and Brewer, Maine, from approximately 1900 to 1930. The material includes interviews with people who had worked on the boom and essays on various aspects of boom construction and operation and the daily lives of the workers.
- From the Collection: Ives, Edward D. (Interviewer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
For digitized items free from access restrictions, we are working to upload this material (pdfs, mp3s, jpgs) for public access, but it is an ongoing project. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, contact Special Collections (firstname.lastname@example.org).
From the Collection: 31 items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
Stephen "Rex" Buzzell, interviewed by Ann Pierter and Susan Tibbetts for AY 198, May 11, 1976, Old Town, Maine. Buzzell talks about the log-sorting booms on the Penobscot River. Topics covered include marking and scaling logs; Argyle, Pea Cove, and Sheepshank (Greenbush) booms; wintering methods, diagrams. Interview was part of a project that led to the issue of Northeast Folklore, XVII: "Argyle Boom."
- Argyle Boom. Penobscot River. Maine
- Booms (Log transportation) -- Maine -- Penobscot River Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Log brands -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Log driving -- Maine -- Penobscot River Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pea Cove Boom. Penobscot River. Old Town (Me.)
- Sheepshank Boom. Penobscot River. Greenbush (Me.)
Part of the Northeast Archives of Folklore and Oral History Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States