Faculty Records (University Of Maine). Professor Hankins (John Erskine) Records
Identifier: UA RG 0011-011
Scope and Contents
The record group mostly contains textual information created and curated by Professor John Hankins during his tenure as college professor of English at the University of Maine, but there is also a photograph of Hankins in Folder 12. Includes: biographical information from the faculty index, correspondence, dramatic pieces, poems, and short stories (including some written by Hankin), articles, and speeches, newspaper clippings on a range of subjects, conference material, and various items regarding events Hankin attended celebrating William Shakespeare's birth. Also a lecture by Nellie Hankins and a history of her family are included.
- Hankins, John Erskine, 1905- (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
John Hankins was born in 1905. He earned his B.A. in 1924 from the University of South Carolina, his M.A. in 1925 and his Ph.D. from Yale in 1929. He came to the University of Maine in 1956 as Head of the English Department. Hankins authored a number of books and articles, particuarly on the subject of William Shakespeare. Hankins retired in 1970. He was Professor Emeritus in 1970.
Nellie P. Hankins was born in 1904. She received her B.A. from Colby College in 1925 and her M.A. from Yale in 1929. She married John E. Hankins in 1930. She received her Ph.D. from the University of Kansas in 1960. She taught in the English Department at the University of Maine, part-time from 1956 to 1970.
1 box (Half size box)
Language of Materials
Physically the boxes are arranged by subject. File names and dates were added and material was separated and divided into multiple sub-folders where necessary. Material was rehoused into archival quality storage.
Accruals from Professor John Hankins are not anticipated.
Formerly SpC MS 0224.
Processed by Matthew Revitt, September 2018, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and the creation of this finding aid. Boxes and folders numbered and titled using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Brochures Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hankins, John Erskine, 1905-
- Hankins, Nellie P., 1904-
- International Association of University Professors of English
- Lectures Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Plays (Performed works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poems Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Short stories Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Speeches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Maine -- Faculty
- University Of Maine. Professor Hankins (John Erskine) Records
- Matthew Revitt
- September 26, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note