Faculty Records (University Of Maine). Dr. Coon (Robert W.) Papers
Scope and Contents
The record groups includes clippings, proposals, and reports mostly relating to the attempt to establish a medical school at the University of Maine in the 1970s.
- Majority of material found within 1970-1979
- Coon, Robert W. (Person)
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Dr. Robert W. Coon was born July 13, 1920 in Billings, Montana. Dr. Coon had a distinguished career in Vermont as Chief of Service and Director of Laboratories at the Medical Center Hospital. He was Associate Dean of the University of Vermont Division of Health Services, Director of the Northern New England Regional Medical Program, Director and President of Vermont Health Systems, Inc. and Director of the School of Allied Health Sciences at the University of Vermont. Dr. Coon was appointed Assistant Chancellor of Health Education at the University of Maine in 1973.
He was responsible for planning a new medical school for the University of Maine (1973-1976). Governor Longley vetoed the bill that would have established the medical school. Dr. Coon went to the University of West Virginia. He established a medical school in that state on the Marshall University campus. He retired to Vermont in 1989. Coon died in 2015.
In 2001, the plans to establish a medical school at the University of Maine were revisited.
1 box (Half size box)
Language of Materials
Record group includes clippings, proposals, and other materials relating to the attempt to establish a medical school at the University of Maine in the 1970s.
Physically the material is arranged by subject. File names and dates were added. Material was rehoused into archival quality storage.
Box numbers have changed:
- Old Box #256 (New Box #1)
- Old Box #256A (New Box #2)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposited in Special Collections by University of Maine professor Kenneth Allen in 1997.
Formerly SpC MS 0540.
Processed by Matthew Revitt, November, 2019, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and the creation of this finding aid. Material was rehoused into appropriate archival folders and the boxes and folders numbered and titled using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Application forms Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Audiotapes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Medical colleges -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Proposals Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Maine -- Planning
- University Of Maine. Dr. Coon (Robert W.) Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Edition statement
- Revised in 2019