Dean of Students. Campus Life. Stein Collection (University of Maine) Records
Scope and Contents
The record group contains material regarding the University of Maine's Nelson B. Jones Stein Collection. Including correspondence covering the creation and growth over time of the collection, donations to the collection, photographs of steins in the collection, background information on steins, publicity material, and information on donors.
- Majority of material found within 1962-1978
- University of Maine. Memorial Union (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Biographical / Historical
The Nelson B. Jones Stein Collection is on display in the Oakes Room at Raymond H. Fogler Library. The theme of steins is inspired by the popularity of the Maine Stein song made famous by the singer Rudy Vallee.
In May of 1962, the Governing Board of the Memorial Union, with the urging of Nelson B. Jones, the first director of the Memorial Union, formally authorized the creation of the permanent stein collection, which in 1977 was renamed the Nelson B. Jones Stein Collection. The collection was originally housed in the Memorial Union before being relocated to Fogler Library.
One of the first donations came from Barry Millet (Class of 1956) who loaned a few of his own steins to get the collection started. From that day, steins have been donated on a regular basis by students, alumni, and friends of the University. Today, the Stein Collection numbers over two hundred.
In the beginning, the basic theme of the collection was to be academic, including steins from colleges and universities throughout the world. The scope of the collection has broadened significantly and now includes many styles and representatives of various methods of manufacturing.
Language of Materials
Physically the record group is arranged by subject.
Box numbers have changed:
- Old Box #203 (New Box #1)
Accruals regarding the Stein Collection are anticipated.
Processed by volunteer Marian Dressler and Matthew Revitt, January 2023, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and the creation of this finding aid. The material was rehoused into appropriate archival folders. Boxes and folders were numbered and titles added using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Catalogs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Circulars (Fliers) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Donations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jones, Nelson B.
- Publicity Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Raymond H. Fogler Library
- University of Maine Alumni Association
- Vallée, Rudy, 1901-1986
- steins Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Maine. Stein Collection Records
- Matthew Revitt
- January 12, 2023
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library University Archives Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States