Academic Affairs. Division of Lifelong Learning (University of Maine) Records
Scope and Contents
The records contain material created and curated by associate provosts who led the University of Maine's Division of Lifelong Learning. The records are on a range of subjects related to the operations of the Division and its individual programs. The records also contain details of major University of Maine-wide and University of Maine System committees and initiatives. Many of the subject folders contain copies of reports and publications (often annotated), printouts of email communications, supporting reference material, and the associate provost's handwritten notes.
- Majority of material found within 2000-2020
- Zeph, Lucille Annese (Person)
- White, Robert C. (Person)
- LaRocque, Monique (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval. Personal identifiable and sensitive information will be redacted before release.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
Biographical / Historical
The University of Maine's Division of Lifelong Learning (DLL) was established effective July 1, 1996, under the directorship of Robert (Bob) C. White, who would later be appointed associate provost and dean of the Division. The Division had responsibility for providing leadership in lifelong learning including: formal academic course work; matriculation toward a non-traditional degree (Bachelor of University Studies); and non-degree institutes, seminars, workshops, symposia, and courses.
The director reported to the vice president for academic affairs and the provost. When founded DLL included the following units: Continuing Education (credit and non-credit, including institutes), Summer School, May Term, Winter Session, and Distance Education; the Onward Program, Peace Studies, the Bureau of Labor Education, and the Women’s Resource Center. DLL also oversaw the Bachelor of University Studies Degree and was responsible for the former functions of the Conferences and Institutes unit. DLL would go on to oversee online courses offered by the University of Maine System and be responsible for the UMaine Diversity Leadership Institute and both the Franco-American Center and Wabanaki Center, and the Frederick E. Hutchinson Center outreach campus in Belfast established in 2000. DLL has partnered with the different University of Maine System campuses on projects such as Safe Campus and National Girls Collaborative.
In 2011, Lucille Zeph became the associate provost for DLL. In June 2014, Zeph was succeeded by Monique LaRocque. LaRocque departed the University of Maine in 2022.
DLL is home today to the Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL), UMaineOnline, Summer University and Winter Session, the Bachelor of University Studies, College Success Programs, the Frederick E. Hutchinson Center, and Conferences and Institutes.
Language of Materials
The material is arranged in alphabetical order by the subject of the folder.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred to Special Collections by Jenn Chiarell, Executive Assistant to the Associate Provost, Division of Lifelong Learning on April 29, 2022.
Accruals from the Division of Lifelong Learning are anticipated.
Processed by Matthew Revitt, June-August 2022, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and the creation of this finding aid. The material was rehoused into appropriate archival folders. Boxes and folders were numbered and titles added using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Annual reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lifelong learning Subject Source: Local sources
- Minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Online learning and distance education Subject Source: Local sources
- Plans (Reports) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Universities and colleges -- Maine -- Orono -- Accreditation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Maine. Deans' Council
- University of Maine. Hutchinson Center
- University of Maine. Peace and Reconciliation Studies Program
- University of Maine. Women's Resource Center
- University of Maine. Division of Lifelong Learning (Organization)
- University of Maine. Division of Lifelong Learning Records
- Matthew Revitt
- August 8, 2022
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library University Archives Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States