Students/Alumni Records (University of Maine). Class of 1876 Photograph Album
Scope and Contents
A photograph album primarily containing carte-de-visite, calling card style portrait style photographs and tintypes. The photographs would likely have been exchanged with classmates and friends. The photographs are of members of the Maine State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts (now known as the University of Maine) Class of 1876 and also of non-students, such as older couples and children. The photographs appear to have been taken by different photographers and in different states in some cases (one loose photograph is from Pensacola, Florida).
There appear to be three sets of handwriting in the album, including contemporary notes and some subsequent, more modern, notes were added to the album both in pencil and ballpoint point, replicating what is written on the back of the photographs.
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
Language of Materials
The album is in poor physical condition, with loose binding and some of the photographs also loose.
The volume was processed in May, 2022 by Matthew Revitt, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- College students -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts (Maine). Class of 1876
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script