Academic Affairs. Dean, College of Natural Sciences, Forestry, and Agriculture. Page Farm and Home Museum (University of Maine) Records
Scope and Contents
The record group contains an incomplete run of "The Cracker Barrel" newsletter, which was first published in the summer of 1994 and sent to Claire S. Sanders as a donor of the Page Farm and Home Museum, and copies of annual membership reports (missing copies of report from pre-1996 and for 2012 & 2016). The record group also includes letters sent to Sanders, from both the museum and the University of Maine Development, regarding her donations to the museum, invitations to member meetings, and museum publicity material.
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
Biographical / Historical
The Page Farm and Home Museum three-story building, built in 1833, is the last original agricultural building on the University of Maine campus. The Museum campus includes: the Chute Schoolhouse, an 1855 one-room schoolhouse from Holden, the Winston E. Pullen Carriage House and the Blacksmith Shop, and a ¼ acre Heritage Garden. Planning for the Museum began in 1989 overseen by the University of Maine Farm and Home Museum Committee. The plans for the Museum included the preservation and moving of the barn building from across campus to its present location to house the Museum. In 1992, the Museum was renamed the Page Farm and Home Museum in honor of Henry Page. Bill Reeed was the Museum's first director/curator. In 2001, Reed departed and was replaced by Patricia Henner.
The items were compiled by Page Farm and Home Museum donor Claire S. Sanders. Sanders was born December 14, 1910, in Sangerville, Maine and was a member of the University of Maine Class of 1934, graduating with a B.S. degree in Home Economics. Sanders went on to work for the University of Maine from 1938-1973, including in the College of Life Sciences and Agriculture. Sanders died at the age of 95 on March 26, 2006.
1 box (Half size box )
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Folders 1-3 were transferred to the Library Annex from the office of former head of special collections Richard Hollinger in 2021 and appear to have been donated to Special Collections by Claire S. Sanders (Class of 1934).
Folders 4 & 5 were transferred to Special Collections on March 25, 2022 by Patricia Henner, Page Home Farm and Museum as Accession #2022-0325.
Accruals from the Page Farm and Home Museum are anticipated in the future.
The records were processed in April, 2022 by Matthew Revitt, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and the creation of this finding aid. The material was rehoused into appropriate archival folders. Boxes and folders were numbered and titles added using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Agriculture -- History -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Annual reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Circulars (Fliers) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fund raising Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Meetings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Maine. Page Farm and Home Museum Records
- Matthew Revitt
- April 14, 2022
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script