Student Organizations. Woodsmen's Team Memorabilia
Various miscellaneous memorabilia curated by members of the University of Maine Woodsmen's Team. Includes:
Team rosters for the 28th Intercollegiate Woodsmen's Weekend held at the University of Maine.
Newspaper clippings and articles regarding the 1973-1974 UMaine Woodsmen's Team.
Photographs from 1972 Spring Woodsmen's Meet, Paul Smith's B Team, 1974-1975 team, various pictures 1974 Scott Paper Company, Greenville, Maine, Logging Joel Swanton & George Jones, 1975 Woodsmen's Utilization trip, Great Northern Paper Company, off Golden Road, north of Telos camp, and 1974 Intercollegiate Woodsmen's Competition.
Rules, team rosters, program, photographs, and results from the 28th Annual Intercollegiate Woodsmen's Competition held at the University of Maine in May, 1975. Also, includes facsimiles from Prism Yearbook (1975) and The Maine Forester (1976) regarding the Woodsmen's Team.
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Biographical / Historical
The University of Maine Woodsmen Team is a co-ed organization dedicated to maintaining the old woods skills and competing on the intercollegiate level throughout the Northeast and Canada. This team has been a University of Maine tradition for over 40 years. The Women's Woodsman's Team first started competing in 1975.
The Woodsman's Weekend was a competitive outdoor sport held annually at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire. Several colleges of the Intercollegiate Outing Club Association meet each spring for the three-day competition. The University of Maine began competing in 1948.
The material in this record group are from the 1970s and were curated by George Jones, UMO Forest Management (Class of 1975), who was a member of the Woodsmen’s Team from 1972 to 1975. During that period there were three Woodsmen's meets held during the academic year. A spring meet was held at a U.S. school in the north east and two, of which, were held in Canada.
Language of Materials
Various photographs of team members, programs, team scores, and rules (1970-1976).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gifted to Special Collections by George Jones on October 4, 2021.
The records were processed in December 2021 by Matthew Revitt, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and the creation of this finding aid. The material was rehoused into appropriate archival folders and the boxes and folders numbered and titled added using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- College students -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Foresters -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Loggers -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Logging Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Logging -- Equipment and supplies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Souvenir programs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Maine. Woodsmen Team
- Wood products Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Maine Woodsmen's Team Memorabilia
- Matthew Revitt
- December 14, 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script