Discontinued Offices & Programs. Maine Center for Student Journalism (University Of Maine) Records
Scope and Contents
The records contain textual information and photographs regarding the administration of the Maine Center for Student Journalism for that specific year. Including (but not for every year): annual reports, correspondence, reference material, sample award certificates, samples of student newspapers, photographs of student participants and organizers, lists of participants, budgets, award certificates, name tags, schedules, publicity material, and evaluation forms for events.
- University of Maine. Department of Communication and Journalism (Organization)
- Maine Center for Student Journalism (Organization)
- Olmstead, Kathryn (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
Biographical / Historical
Following a pilot project in Aroostook County, Maine in 1992, the Maine Center for Student Journalism was established in 1993 to stimulate and assist the study and practice of journalism in Maine secondary schools. The Center provided students with an opportunity to work with, speak to and learn from professionals in the field of journalism. The Center hosted an annual student journalism conference and regional roundtables that supported high school teachers and students journalism projects. The Center also organized an annual statewide newspaper conference and published a quarterly newsletter.
The Maine Center for Student Journalism was supported through financial assistance of the Maine Daily Newspaper Publishers Association and was housed in the Department of Communication and Journalism at the University of Maine. University of Maine Professor Kathryn J. Olmstead was director of the Center from 1993-2003, as well as being the Department of Communication and Journalism representative and advisory board member for the Association. The advisory committee was made up of journalism professionals. In 2003, Shannon Martin took over as both the representative/board member for the Maine Press Association and Director of the Center. There is no record of the Center being operational post-2008.
Language of Materials
The records are arranged chronologically by school year.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred to Special Collections as accession #2020-1016 by Judith E. Rosenbaum, Chair and Associate Professor, Department of Communication and Journalism, University of Maine.
Accurals from the Maine Center for Student Journalism are not anticipated.
Processed by Matthew Revitt, October 2020, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and the creation of this finding aid. Material was also rehoused into appropriate archival folders and the boxes and folders numbered and titled added using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Annual reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Budgets Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Circulars (Fliers) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Conferences Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- High school teachers -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journalism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journalism -- Study and teaching -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspapers -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Publicity Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Students -- Maine Subject Source: Local sources
- Rosenbaum, Judith E. (Person)
- University of Maine. Maine Center for Student Journalism Records
- Matthew Revitt
- October 21, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library University Archives Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States