Nathaniel J. Crowley's Memoirs
Bound copy of the memoirs of Nathaniel Crowley, who was an alumnus of the University of Maine and a Hall of Fame recipient (2002 - Class of ’42). The memoir was published by his son Roger Crowley (donor) in hardback for his family and friends. The memoir includes stories from Crowley's time at UMaine, including in sports, as a member of the Senior Skulls, and Class Treasurer.
- Publication: 2020
- Crowley, Nathaniel J. , 1917-2015 (Author, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
Biographical / Historical
Nathaniel Crowley was born on May 13, 1917 in Chelsea, Massachusetts. He attended the University of Maine from 1938-1942, where he earned Bachelor and Masters Degrees. While at the University of Maine, Nathaniel Crowley played halfback and punter on the 1940 and 1941 football teams and served center on the 1940-41 and 1941-42 basketball teams while serving as captain his senior season. He was also the leading hitter on the baseball team in both 1941 and 1942. While at the University of Maine, Crowley served as class treasurer and was a member of the Sophomore Owls, the Pale Blue Key Organization and the Senior Skulls.
After college, his sports career included semi-pro basketball and baseball for the Bangor Potters and the Sebec Lakers.
Nathaniel was a World War II Veteran having served in the Army Air Corps as a top-turret gunner in the B 24s. Following his service career, he taught and coached at Stearns, John Bapst, Deering and Lewiston high schools.
His career also included Guidance Director for Lewiston Schools, Dean of Students at the University of Maine at Fort Kent, and administrator at Husson. Nathaniel served 12 years as a State Representative from 1980 to 1992 serving District 112 including his hometown of Stockton Springs.
Crowley died in 2015 at the age of 98.
1 item (Bound copy of the memoir)
Language of Materials
Processed by Matthew Revitt, September 2020, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
- American football Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Baseball Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College athletics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College sports -- History -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College students -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College students -- Societies and clubs -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Crowley, Roger (Donor, Person)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library University Archives Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States