Faculty Records. Nadelhaft (Jerome J.) Papers
The records mainly contain textual information created and curated by Jerome J. Nadelhaft, who was a history professor at the University of Maine. The record series Administrative & Committee Records contains correspondence, memorandums, and meeting material regarding the operations of the University of Maine and from the various University of Maine wide and College of Arts & Humanities committees that Professor Nadelhaft served on, copies of various University, College of Arts & Humanities, and Department of History reports, enrollment data and analysis, Also includes copies of Maine newspapers with stories regarding the University of Maine and its relations with faculty and information regarding the State University College at Geneseo, New York where Nadelhaft taught before coming to the University of Maine.
The record series Teaching and Writing Records contains outlines, readings, and blank examination papers for different courses taught by Nadelhaft. Also includes course proposals, copies of speeches, talks and books reviews, and a letter to the editor of the Maine Campus.
The record series Biographical Records contains biographical information on former University of Maine faculty members Maryann Hartman and Howard B. Schonberger, details of Nadelhaft’s appointment as chair of the Department of History, copies of Nadelhaft’s curriculum vitae, and a letter and article regarding his review.
The record series Correspondence contains correspondence on a range of subjects.
- Nadelhaft, Jerome J. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Biographical / Historical
Jerome J. Nadelhaft was born on 23 June, 1937. Nadelhaft earned a BA from Queens College in 1959, a MA from the University of Wisconsin in 1961, and a Ph.D. also from University of Wisconsin in 1965. Before coming to the University of Maine Nadelhaft taught at the State University of New York at Geneseo from 1964-1967. Nadelhaft started at the University of Maine in 1967 as a Assistant Professor in the Department of History, becoming an Associate Professor in 1972, and a full professor in 1983. In 1989, Nadelhaft was appointed chair of the Department of History. While at the University of Maine Professor Nadelhaft served on a number of committees, including the Council of Colleges.
Professor Nadelhaft retired from the University of Maine in 1997 with emeritus status.
Language of Materials
The Records Group is broken down intellectually into the following record series: 1. Administrative & Committee Records, 2. Teaching & Writing Records, 3. Biographical Records, and 4. Correspondence. Physically the records are arranged by subject. Material was rehoused into archival quality storage.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Processed as accession #2008-0619b, but provenance unclear.
The processing archivist appraised the records and destroyed student evaluations and reference material not appropriate for permanent preservation.
Accruals from Professor Nadelhaft are not anticipated.
Processed by student worker Jordan Lockard and Matthew Revitt, February 2020 and October 2020, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and intellectual arrangement into series and the creation of this finding aid. Material was rehoused into appropriate archival folders and the boxes and folders numbered and titled using information from ArchivesSpace. The disposal of material deemed not of archival value meant the contents of the boxes could be consolidated into 2 boxes from than the original 3 boxes.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Annual reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Budgets Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- College teachers -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Curricula Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Examinations Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hartman, Maryann
- History -- Study and teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Memorandums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Nadelhaft, Ruth
- Newspapers -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Phi Alpha Theta
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Resumes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Schonberger, Howard B.
- Syllabi Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Maine. College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- University of Maine. Department of History
- University Of Maine. Nadelhaft (Jerome J.) Papers
- Matthew Revitt
- October 20, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script