Faculty Records (University Of Maine). Professor Libbey (Waldo M.) Papers
Scope and Contents
The records mainly contain textual information created and curated by Waldo M. Libbey, who was a University of Maine engineering professor, but there are also photographs of Libbey and engineering drawings, graphs, and charts.
The record series Biographical Information contains on Libbey’s professional and personal life, including profiles, details of appointments and awards, and letters of appreciation.
The record series Teaching, Education & Publication Records contains lecture notes, curriculum information, problems, and examinations from Libbey’s time as a student at Bangor High School, University of Maine and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, but also from his tenure as a engineering professor at the University of Maine. There are also notes from lectures and events Libbey attended, a photograph of Libbey teaching, and copies of publications authored by Libbey and colleagues.
The record series Administrative Records contains copies of citations for the University of Maine’s College of Engineering Distinguished Engineering and Science Award, details of work done to improve acoustics in various University buildings by the company Bolt Beranek and Newman, copies of dedications Libbey gave for the Barrow Hall and in honor of former President Arthur A. Hauck. There are also copies of fliers for the University’s Electrical Engineering Department.
The record series Correspondence contains letters on a range of subjects, both of a personal and professional nature, including teaching, organizations Libbey was a member of, and consulting jobs.
The record series Consulting Records contains details of specific consulting work Libbey performed in the field of electrical engineering and acoustics, includes: correspondence, reports, and plans.
- Majority of material found within 1960-1990
- Libbey, Waldo M. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval. Personal identifiable and legally protected information will be redacted before release.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Biographical / Historical
Waldo McClure Libbey was born in Bangor on July 21, 1922. He received a baccalaureate degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Maine in 1943. Libbey did graduate work at Harvard University, received a master’s degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from the Worcester Polytechnic Institute. He came to the University of Maine in 1943 and was promoted to full professorship in 1959. Libbey retired from the University of Maine with emeritus status in 1990. Libbey also carried out consulting work in the area of acoustics and noise control. The records also include details of the inaugural Institute Of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Student Convention at the University of Maine in 1966 which Libbey was involved in organizing.
During his tenure at the University of Maine Libbey received a number of awards, including being the inaugural winner of the Ashley S. Campbell Award in 1980. Libbey also served on a number of University of Maine committees, including the Faculty Council.
Libbey died aged 86 on January 10, 2009.
Language of Materials
The Records Group is broken down intellectually into the following record series: 1. Biographical Information, 2. Teaching, Education & Publication Records, 3. Administrative Records, 4. Correspondence, and 5. Consulting Records. Physically the records are arranged by subject. Material was rehoused into archival quality storage.
Accruals from Professor Libbey are not anticipated because he died in 2009.
Processed by Matthew Revitt, February 2020, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and the creation of this finding aid. Material was rehoused into appropriate archival folders and the boxes and folders numbered and titled using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Acoustics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Certificates Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Design drawings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Electrical engineering -- Study and teaching -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Examinations Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lecture notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lectures and lecturing -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sound engineers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Syllabi Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Maine -- Research grants Subject Source: Local sources
- University of Maine. College of Engineering
- University of Maine. Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
- University Of Maine. Professor Libbey (Waldo M.) Papers
- Matthew Revitt
- February 4, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library University Archives Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States