Discontinued Offices & Programs. Engineering Science And Management Defense Training Program (University Of Maine) Records
Scope and Contents
The records mostly contain textual information created by the University of Maine and U.S Office of Education regarding the Engineering, Sciences, and Management Defense Training Program, but there are some photographs of participants.
The record series Academic & Administrative Records contains general information regarding the Program, U.S Office of Education reports, forms, publicity material, student applications, details of course offerings (declined classes included), professor’s notes on courses/lectures, grades, enrollment reports, manuals, maps, final proposals for courses submitted to the U.S Office of Education, photographs, and correspondence with course instructors regarding their courses and specific students and with the U.S Office of Education regarding the funding and approval of specific course offerings and enrollment data.
The record series Financial Records contains expenditure reports, budgets, payroll information, purchase orders, and travel costs.
- United States. Department of Education (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval. Personal identifiable and sensitive information will be redacted before release.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
Biographical / Historical
The University of Maine was one of many U.S. colleges and universities to offer tuition free summer courses under the Engineering, Sciences, and Management Defense Training Program which was funded by the U.S. Office of Education. The college-grade courses started on June 23, 1942, and continued for twelve weeks. The classes were for high school graduates not planning on attending college and were intended to train students in defense activities in order to fill urgently needed technical and scientific civilian positions just prior to and during World War II. There were a range of courses offered including in radio communication, materials of engineering and inspection, machine tool engineering, welding engineering, surveying and mapping, structural drafting, and analytical chemistry.
1 box (Half size box)
Language of Materials
The Records Group is broken down intellectually into the following record series: 1. Academic & Administrative Records, 2. Correspondence, and 3. Financial Records.
Physically the boxes are arranged by subject. Some file names and dates were changed to make them more meaningful and to correct errors. Material was rehoused into archival quality storage.
Box numbers have changed:
- Old Box #220 (New Box #1)
- Old Box #221 (New Box #2)
- Old Box #222 (New Box #3)
- Old Box #223 (New Box #4)
- Old Box #224 (New Box #5)
- Old Box #225 (New Box #6)
- Old Box #226 (New Box #7)
- Old Box #227 (New Box #8)
- Old Box #228 (New Box #9)
- Old Box #229 (New Boxes #9 & 10)
Accruals from the Engineering Science and Management Defense Training Program are not anticipated because the Program disbanded in 1945.
Processed by Matthew Revitt and student worker Julia Haberstick, July 2018, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and intellectual arrangement into series and the creation of this finding aid. Material still needs to be rehoused into appropriate archival folders and the boxes and folders numbered and titled using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Budgets Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Engineering Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Proposals Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publicity Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- STEM Subject Source: Local sources
- Teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University Of Maine. Engineering Science And Management Defense Training Program Records
- Matthew Revitt
- September 10, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.