Student Organizations. Abenaki Experimental College (University Of Maine) Records
Identifier: UA RG 0009-010
Scope and Contents
The records contain textual information created by the Abenaki Experimental College and material created by third parties regarding the College, includes: College catalogs, resource information, clipping regarding the College's opening, and course fliers.
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
Biographical / Historical
The Abenaki Experimental College was an open educational center serving people in the Bangor, Orono, and Old Town Community. The College offered course on a range of traditional and non-traditional subjects such as folk dancing and basket making. The College was an approved University of Maine student organization and students and faculty as well as community members were involved in its establishment and administration. University of Maine student Roy Krantz was one of the key organizers in the College’s establishment.
Language of Materials
Physically the folders are arranged by subject. Some file names and dates were changed to make them more meaningful and to correct errors. Material was rehoused into archival quality storage. Originally the Other University Of Maine Campuses and Abenaki Experimental College record groups were stored in their own individual boxes, but the processing archivists consolidated the materials into two boxes to allow for space savings.
The processing archivist appraised the records and destroyed duplicate copies of publications.
Accruals from the Abenaki Experimental College are not anticipated because the College is no longer in existence.
Processed by Matthew Revitt and student worker Julia Haberstick July 2018, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and intellectual arrangement into series and the creation of this finding aid. Material was rehoused into appropriate archival folders and the boxes and folders numbered and titled using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Catalogs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Circulars (Fliers) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Students -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Students -- Maine -- Orono -- Political activity Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Maine -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University Of Maine. Abenaki Experimental College Records
- Matthew Revitt
- August 10, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.