Other University Of Maine Campuses. School Of Law (University Of Maine) Records
Scope and Contents
The records mainly contain textual information created by the University Of Maine School Of Law (also known as the College of Law). The record group contains correspondence of William Walz who was the Dean of the University of Maine's School of Law (1902-1918) on a range of subjects including: meetings with colleagues, staffing issues, class schedules, book acquisitions, bills, Maine Law Review and American Law School Review, various legal cases and articles, judge positions in Maine, presentations, addresses, and lectures, American Bar Association meetings, student enrollment, classes, examinations, and graduations, alumni positions, and various requests for information and catalogs, and legal citations.
Also, includes lists of student’s marks, faculty meeting minutes, details of various books, descriptions of practice court cases used by the College for students, an inventory of College equipment, items for the College’s bulletin board, and information on alumni.
There is also content concerning various attempts to reestablish the School following its suspension in 1920 and the eventual successful reestablishment in 1961.
- Majority of material found within 1912-1964
- University of Maine. School of Law (Organization)
- Walz, William E. (William Emanuel), 1860- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
Biographical / Historical
The original College of Law (also known as School of Law) began its operations in 1898 and was located in Bangor, Maine in a building at Exchange and State streets. George E. Gardner was the College’s first dean. In 1902, William Emmanuel Walz succeeded Gardner, Walz had come to the University of Maine in 1898 first as an instructor and then from 1899-1902 he was a professor in the College of Law.
The College’s building and records were destroyed during the 1911 Great Fire of Bangor. Following the fire the School relocated to a house at the corner of Second and Union streets in Bangor (now known as the Farrar building). On March 9, 1918 following concerns regarding the financial state of the College and allegations of Walz having pro-German sympathies Walz was asked by the University of Maine’s Board of Trustees to resign as Dean of the College, or if he didn’t resign he would be immediately relieved of all of his duties as both Dean and Professor of Law. On May 10, 1918 the College moved to the University of Maine’s Orono campus. Walz’s later petition to be readmitted as dean and also application for emeritus status were rejected by the Board Of Trustees. Walz would leave Bangor for Germany where in 1933 he died.
In 1920 during World War I, the decision was made to suspend the College of Law because of financial constraints. Thereafter various attempts were made to reestablish the College, but it wasn’t until 1961 that the University of Maine would once again have a School of Law following the merger between the University and Portland University which was approved by the 100th Maine Legislature. Edward S. Godfrey was the first dean of the new school which was based in Portland. Portland University’s school of law had been established in 1927 with the support of former judge Clarence C. Peabody and the Peabody Law Club.
Language of Materials
Physically the Walz correspondence files are generally arranged in alphabetical order by subject or name of correspondent. The other files are arranged by subject and secondary if there are multiple files on the same subject by year of creation. Material still needs to be separated and divided into multiple sub-folders where necessary. Material still needs to be rehoused into archival quality storage.
Box numbers have changed
- Old Box #234 (New Box 1)
- Old Box #235 (New Box 2)
- Old Box #48 (New Box 3)
Accruals of the University of Maine's School of Law are not anticipated because the records of the School from the 1961 merger with Portland University onwards are managed by the University of Southern Maine.
For ease of discovery and access the School of Law faculty meeting minutes (1911-1920) from former Box 280 (now College of Education Box 4) were merged by the processing archivist with the meeting meetings filed in Box 3 Folders 1 & 2.
Processed November, 2017 by Matthew Revitt, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and the creation of this finding aid. Material was rehoused into appropriate archival boxes & folders and the boxes and folders numbered and titled added using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Examinations Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Law -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Students -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University Of Maine. School Of Law Records
- Matthew Revitt
- November 22, 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.