Student Organizations. Sophomore Eagles and Sophomore Owls (University of Maine) Records
Scope and Content Note
The collection includes the following Sophomore Eagles material: account book (1928-1968), bank checks and stubs, minutes of meetings (1954-1967), receipts and bank statements, Bird Book (1990-91, 1992-93), volunteer service award from United Way (1993), and 3 scrapbooks. The Sophomore Owls material includes: Who's Who (1910-1962), constitution and bylaws, and material related to the history of the society.
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Information on literary rights available in the Library.
Sophomore Eagles is an honor society for women at the University of Maine based on leadership, dignity, character, scholarship, and friendship. The first 11 pledges were chosen in December 1926. The blue star is their symbol. The Sophomore Eagles are associated with the All Maine Women, Senior Skulls, and Sophomore Owls.
Sophomore Owls established in 1910 is the highest non-scholastic honor awarded a male student at the University of Maine. The organization was founded to instill Maine Spirit in the freshman and sophomore classes, to promote harmony between these two classes, to interest preparatory school athletes in entering the University of Maine, and to aid the administration whenever possible. The Sophomore Owls work closely with the Senior Skulls, All Maine Women, and the Owls sister organization, the Sophomore Eagles.
The collection includes records the Sophomore Eagles, an honor society of the University of Maine for women that began in 1926, and the Sophomore Owls, an honor society for men that began in 1910.
Formerly SpC MS 0582
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Male college students -- Societies and clubs -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Maine -- Students -- Societies, etc.
- University of Maine. Sophomore Eagles
- University of Maine. Sophomore Owls
- Women college students -- Maine -- Orono -- Societies and clubs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the University of Maine Sophomore Eagles and Sophomore Owls Records
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.