Students/Alumni Records (University Of Maine). Scales (Nelson. N) Scrapbook
Scrapbook from University of Maine alumni Nelson N. "Ned" Scales. The scrapbook contains programs and newspaper clippings regarding various events (particularly athletics) on campus, hazing, development on campus, and photographs of students, campus, and towns in Maine (particularly Guilford). Also, includes a petition (which Scales signed) to the University of Maine Board of Trustees to "urge you to consider the advisability of an immediate change in the Head of the University". There are clippings that show Scales was the captain of the UMaine basketball team and also played baseball on the Maine Kineo team alongside "colored" UMaine player Percy Adams.
Also, a folder with facsimiles of clippings regarding Scale's death in 1966 at the age of 77, a note with biographical information from Carole Bruere whose great grandmother married Scales, and photograph postcards of Scales.
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
Biographical / Historical
Nelson N. Scales was born September 17, 1888 and was a native of Guilford, Maine. He graduated from the University of Maine in 1911 where alongside his studies he was also captain of the men's basketball team. In 1913, Scales married Florence Pratt Cross. Scale would operate the Braeburn Hotel in Guilford for over 30 years and was part of owner of H. Douglass and Co. and owner of the Kineo View Hotel in Rockwood for 25 years. Scales died in 1966 at the age of 1977.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred to Special Collections by Carole Bruere whose great grandmother Florence Pratt married Scales as accession #2017-0306.
Very fragile, pages coming loose.
Processed by Matthew Revitt, September 2017, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved an inventory of the contents of the scrapbook.
- Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Basketball Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College athletics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guilford (Me.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Male college students -- Societies and clubs -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Maine -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- No Additional Box Or Folder List For This Small Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script