Academic Affairs. Dean Of Students. Associate Dean For Campus Life. Residential Life (University Of Maine) Records
Scope and Contents
The records mostly contain textual information created by the University of Maine Department of Residential Life, but there are also photographs in the Stodder Hall student scrapbooks and plaques.
The records include: audit and review reports for the Department of Residential Life, guides and manuals on campus living, promotion material for events and programs held on campus, Department newsletters, and promotional material and contracts regarding specific campus accommodation.
Also, includes copies of Balentine Hall’s House Council meeting reports, correspondence regarding lighting, proposal regarding parientals, copies of the Stodder Hall Enterprise publication, various plaques from Stodder Hall, and student scrapbooks of photographs from Stodder Hall.
- University of Maine. Department of Residential Life (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval. Personal identifiable and sensitive information will be redacted before release.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
Biographical / Historical
The Department of Residential Life (now known as Residence Life) oversees the day-to-day staffing and operations within the residence halls at the University of Maine. The Department produces guides on campus living that include the responsibilities of both members and guests and useful resources. University housing is not only used for students, but also for housing guests including those attending events and conferences held on campus. The Department also manages various programs and projects held on campus, such as faculty-in-residence and a college summer program for high school juniors.
The Department of Residential Life were also responsible for food service operations in a number of residences across campus.
Stodder Hall houses the University of Maine Graduate School, as well as housing for graduate students. Originally, Stodder was a women's only residence. It was named for named in honor of the memory of Anne E. Stodder, who donated money to University of Maine students in the form of a scholarship.
Balentine Hall is named after Elizabeth Abbott Balentine who served as the university’s secretary and registrar from 1895–1913.
Language of Materials
The records are physically arranged by subject. Some file names were changed to make them more meaningful and to correct errors. Material was rehoused into archival quality storage.
Box number has changed
- Old Box #285 (New Box 1)
The processing archivist appraised the records and destroyed duplicate copies of items.
Accruals from the Department of Residential Life are anticipated.
Processed by Matthew Revitt and student worker Abigayl Novak, June 2017 and February 2020, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and the creation of this finding aid. Material was rehoused in appropriate archival folders and the boxes and folders numbered and titled using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Brochures Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- College student government -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Food service Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guidelines Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manuals Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Meetings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Programs (Documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publicity Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Student activities -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Student housing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Maine. Department Of Residential Life Records
- Matthew Revitt
- June 29, 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Edition statement
- Revised in February 2020 to include newly processed Boxes 3 & 4.