Student Organizations. Student Mathematics Club (University of Maine) Records
Scope and Contents
The records mainly contain textual information created by the University of Maine Student Mathematics Club and honors fraternity Pi Mu Epsilon, but there is also a photograph from both the Mathematics Club's fiftieth anniversary celebration and installation of Pi Mu Epsilon. The records include: meeting minutes, lists of members, member cards, details of member dues, copies of constitutions and charter, press releases regarding meetings and events, and details of the initiation of members and election of Mathematics Club and Pi Mu Epsilon officers. Also includes a copy of Sonic Sections Lyrics and correspondence between Professor R.C. Archibald, Brown University and Dean Hart, University of Maine regarding information requested by Archibald on the Club. Also, details of the establishment of a University of Maine chapter of the honors fraternity Pi Mu Epsilon and its ongoing management.
- Majority of material found within 1955-1970
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval. Personal identifiable and legally protected information will be redacted before release.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
Biographical / Historical
The University of Maine’s Mathematics Club was organized on February 23, 1916 with the objective of promoting interest in the study of mathematics. Revised constitutions indicate that the Club also sought to “promote a more harmonious relationship between faculty and students through a common bond of mathematics” and “to supply information concerning scholarships and study in mathematics”. The membership consisted of all persons connected with the department of mathematics and astronomy, and of any other persons sufficiently interested in mathematics. By 1955 it appears the Club had become inactive with a group of students seeking to reestablish a club that would be affiliated with a national mathematical organization.
In 1965, the Mathematics Club were also involved in establishing the University of Maine chapter of the honor society Pi Mu Epsilon during the tenure of Ellen M. Brackett as president of the Club. The purpose of Pi Mu Epsilon is to promote activity in the field of mathematics among students.
Language of Materials
Physically the records are grouped by subject. File names were changed to make them more meaningful and to correct errors. Originally the contents of folders 6a-6e were physically in one folder, but the processing archivist felt the material should be separated into individual folders based on subject. The records were also rehoused into archival quality storage.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The contents of Box 1 Folders 1-4 were transferred to Fogler Library's Special Collections Department by Professor Eisso Atzema, Department of Mathematics as accession #2015-0211b.
On May 12, 2017 Box 1 Folder 5 was transferred from MS 535, University of Maine Clubs and Organizations records, Box 1 Folder 22 to this record group (Student Mathematics Club Records) because the processing archivist felt the material should be combined with other records on the Mathematics Club.
The contents of Box 1 Folders 6a-17 were transferred to Fogler Library's Special Collections Department by Professor Eisso Atzema, Department of Mathematics as accession #2017-0505.
Accurals from the Mathematics Club and Pi Mu Espsilon are anticipated.
The processing archivist appraised the records and destroyed duplicate copies of blank member certificates.
Processed by Matthew Revitt, May 2017, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and intellectual arrangement into series and the creation of this finding aid. Material was rehoused into appropriate archival folders and the boxes and folders numbered and titled added using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Certificates Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clubs -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Constitutions Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fraternal organizations -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Invoices Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mathematics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Membership cards Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Membership lists Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Press releases Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Student activities -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Students -- Papers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Maine. Deparment of Mathematics
- University of Maine. Student Mathematics Club Records
- Matthew Revitt
- May 23, 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.