Discontinued Offices & Programs. Institute In Foreign Languages (University Of Maine) Records
Scope and Contents
The records contain textual information created by the University of Maine Department of Foreign Languages and Classics and U.S. Office of Education. The record group contains various information regarding funding support the Institute received from the U.S. Office of Education, including: proposals, reports, supporting material, and correspondence and memorandums from the Office. Also included are administrative records regarding the organization and promotion of the Institute, including: plans, clippings, staff lists, press releases, and brochures.
The record group also contains a copy of a proposal from the University of Maine for training teachers of French submitted to the Office of Education.
- Creation: 1958-1968
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval. Personal identifiable and legally protected information will be redacted before release.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
Biographical / Historical
The Foreign Languages Institute was organized by the University of Maine’s Department of Foreign Languages and Classics and financed by a grant from the U.S. Office of Education under provisions of Title XI of the National Defense Education Act as amended in 1964. The Institute was held at the University of Maine during the summer months from 1959 to 1968. A mix of faculty taught at the summer institute including from the University of Maine's Department of Foreign Languages and Classics. Attendees came from across the nation, but predominately from Maine.
The Institute was for the advanced study of foreign languages. It appears that with exception of the first two instances of the institute where Spanish and German were also included the University of Maine program focused on French, preparing recent graduates to teach French in the classroom. The program sought to improve attendee's cultural understanding and language proficiency in terms of listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills. As part of their training attendees taught beginner classes for school children and went on a field trip to Quebec.
In 1959, Robert N. Rioux, Associate Professor of Romance Languages was appointed the first director of the Institute. Rioux was replaced in 1965 by Dr. E. Wesley O'Neill, Associate Professor at the University of Maine. O'Neill held the director position until 1968 when the program closed.
Language of Materials
Physically the records are grouped by institute year. Some file names were changed to make them more meaningful and to correct errors. Material was rehoused into archival quality storage.
Box numbers has changed:
- Old Box #44 (New Box 1)
The processing archivist appraised the records and destroyed duplicate copies of brochures, reports, and forms.
Accurals from the Institute are not anticipated because the program has been discontinued.
Processed by Matthew Revitt, May 2017, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and intellectual arrangement into series and the creation of this finding aid. Material was rehoused into appropriate archival folders and the boxes and folders numbered and titled added using information from ArchivesSpace.
- University of Maine. Institute In Foreign Languages Records
- Matthew Revitt
- May 11, 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.