Academic Affairs. Dean, College Of Liberal Arts And Sciences. Communication & Journalism Department (University Of Maine) Records
Scope and Contents
The records contain textual information created and curated by the University of Maine Department of Speech which after a number of combinations and name changes would become the Communication and Journalism Department. Mostly contains information regarding theater enterprises including Children’s Creative Theater’s summer sessions, Regional One Act Play Contest, and Summer Theater including: their history, script, cast lists, programs, press releases, planning material, and correspondence. Also, various items regarding the WORO and WMEB radio stations, including their history and various items regarding the Maine Radio Guild, including: copies of constitutions and by-laws, correspondence regarding equipment needs, lists of Guild members, mailing lists, meeting material, and copies of the IBS Bulletin. And also copies of various Seminar in Speech papers.
- University of Maine. Department of Communication and Journalism (Organization)
- University of Maine. Department of Speech (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval. Personal identifiable and legally protected information will be redacted before release.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
Biographical / Historical
Speech courses have been taught at the University of Maine since 1868 under Merritt Caldwell Fernald. The Public Speaking Department was established in 1915 and in 1939 would become the Department of Speech with Mark Bailey appointed the first head of the Department; Bailey had previously been head of the Public Speaking Department. Bailey continued to teach in the Department until 1946, but in 1940 was succeeded as head of department by Dr. Howard Runion. In 1948, Wofford G. Gardner was appointed department chair a position he wuld hold until 1975.
The Department of Speech offered programs in public speaking, theater, play production, and stage direction culminating in stage productions held at the University of Maine that would provide students with the experience of putting on a production. The Department was also instrumental in establishing and overseeing radio and television stations at the University of Maine. The Department sponsored high school debating tournaments and theater workshops and competitions at the University of Maine.
The Department of Speech would later be combined with Speech Disorders with responsibilities for managing the University of Maine’s Speech and Hearing Clinic and organizing the Summer Speech Correction Institute. The Department would go through a number of combinations and reorganizations to become the Communication and Journalism Department.
Language of Materials
The Records Group is broken down intellectually into subseries: 1. Department of Speech. More record series will be added once Special Collections receieves additional records from the University of Maine Communication and Journalism Department.
Box number has changed:
- Old Box #359 (New Box 1)
Accurals from the University of Maine Communication and Journalism Department are anticipated.
Processed by Matthew Revitt, May 2017, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and intellectual arrangement into series and the creation of this finding aid. Material was also rehoused into appropriate archival folders and the boxes and folders numbered and titled added using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Constitutions Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Debates and debating -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Local histories Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Press releases Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Radio broadcasting Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Radio stations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Schedules Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Theater -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theater and youth Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theater programs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Maine. Communication & Journalism Department Records
- Matthew Revitt
- May 9, 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library University Archives Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States