Staff Organizations. University Of Maine Classified Employees Advisory Council Records
Scope and Contents
The records mainly contain textual information created and collected by the University of Maine Classified Employees Advisory Council.
The record series Council Meeting Records contains agendas, minutes and supporting material from regular Council meeting, annual meetings, and meetings held by other University of Maine campus employee advisory councils.
The record series Council Membership Records contains copies of Council bylaws, correspondence regarding Council appointments and resignations, copies of member election results and questionnaires regarding the future of the Council, correspondence with University of Maine departments, administrators, and employee regarding employee representation, rights, and specific issues affecting classified employees, and details of a salary study comparing University of Maine and State of Maine wages.
The record series Council Subcommittee Records contains items regarding various Council committees including the Bylaws Committee, Classified Employees Liaison Council, Performance Audit Subcommittee, Personnel Policy Review Committee, and the Scholarship Committee. The items include meeting material, copies of Council bylaws, details of appointments to the committees, reference and supporting material, and correspondence regarding the work of the committees.
The record series University of Maine Employee Policies & Procedures contains copies of various University of Maine reports, procedures, policies, handbooks, and plans related to employee relations, including on the subject of equal educational opportunities, grievance procedures, labor laws, retirement, safety training, and personnel policies.
Conditions Governing Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval. Personal identifiable and legally protected information will be redacted before release.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
Biographical / Historical
The University of Maine’s Classified Employees Advisory Council was formed in 1971 as an ongoing body to act in an advisory capacity to the University of Maine president to make recommendations concerning new policies reflecting the caning nature of the working environment.
The original objectives of the Council were the:
• Establishment of rapport and a line of communication between the classified employees and the president.
• Identification of classified employees needs and concerns, and to make recommendations on the same to the president.
• The support of the Classified Employees Scholarship Fund which was supported by classified employee’s fund raising efforts.
The Classified Employees Advisory Council (CEAC) provides a representative voice for University of Maine classified employees to establish rapport and maintain communication among classified employees, the administration and the University community as a whole.
The CEAC facilitates and sponsors opportunities for personal and professional growth and development for classified employees by allocating funds to enhance the skills, talents and career mobility potential of classified employees.
The Council holds regular monthly meetings and hosts an annual professional development day.
Any classified person employed on a regular basis, either full or part time, by the University of Maine or those University of Maine System employees located on the Orono campus are eligible to be elected as a member of the Council.
The Council has a number of subcommittees including the: Blood Drive Committee, By-Law Committee, Communication Committee, Development Day/Workshop Committee, Development Funds Committee, Elections/Nomination Committee, Fundraising Committee, and Outstanding Employee Committee.
Language of Materials
The Records Group is broken down intellectually into subseries: 1. Council Meeting Records, 2. Council Membership Records, 3. Council Subcommittee Records, and 4. University Of Maine Employee Policies & Procedures.
Physically the records were originally filed in alphabetical order, but some file names were changed to make them more meaningful and to correct errors. Material was separated and divided into multiple sub-folders where necessary. Material was rehoused into archival quality storage where necessary.
Some box numbers have changed:
- Old Box #692 (New Box 1)
Material not considered appropriate for permanent retention in Fogler Library’s Special Collections were destroyed, including letters regarding room reservations, campus maps, and blank University of Maine stationary.
Accurals from the University of Maine Classified Employees Advisory Council are anticipated.
Processed by Matthew Revitt, November 2016, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and intellectual arrangement into series and the creation of this finding aid. Material still needs to be rehoused in appropriate archival folders (where needed) and the box and folders numbered and titled added using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Agendas Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Bylaws Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Employee rights Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Employment Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Grievance procedures -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guidelines Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Policy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Questionnaires Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Surveys Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Maine. Classified Employees Advisory Council (Organization)
- University of Maine. Classified Employees Advisory Council Records
- Matthew Revitt
- November 29, 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library University Archives Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States