University of Maine Obsolete Ordnance Correspondence
Scope and Contents
Correspondence primarily between Llewellyn N. Edwards and University of Maine President Harold S. Boardman about the availability of obsolete ordnance material from the United States Navy Department. Edwards received permission to request cannons and artillery from Navy yards in Portsmouth, New Hampshire and Boston, Massachusetts, to have them transported to Maine, and to place them on display on the University of Maine campus. Two cannons were thought to date to the Civil War period, and two were known to have been removed from the U.S.S. Constitution. A letter in the collection from 1979 indicates further research revealed the items from the Constitution were likely created as replicas in 1906 and removed from the ship in 1927. Correspondence includes letters to the Chief Engineer of the Maine State Highway Commission, Clerk of the Harry Rust Post No. 54 of the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.), Olmsted Brothers Landscape Architects, and several other individuals related to the project.
- Creation: 1928-1979
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1931-1932
Restrictions on Access
No restrictions on access.
Restrictions on Use
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Language of Materials
Correspondence primarily between Llewellyn N. Edwards and University of Maine President Harold S. Boardman about the availability of obsolete ordnance material from the United States Navy Department.
No finding aid - see Special Collections librarian for assistance.
- Guide to the University of Maine Obsolete Ordnance Correspondence
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.