University of Maine Conversation Club Records
Scope and Content Note
The records of a social club of male faculty members. Included are 4 ledgers and 1 folder of minutes (1897-1977); histories of the club; constitutions (1897, 1905, 1977 (proposed)); letters concerning the 50th anniversary in 1947; lists of members and lists of discussion topics; correspondence. Also included are a newspaper clipping about the Niben Club of Bangor and a pamphlet about the 75th anniversary Phi Kappa Phi triennial meeting, University of Maine, 1971.
- University of Maine. Conversation Club (Organization)
No restrictions on access.
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
The Conversation Club at the University of Maine in Orono began in 1897 when University of Maine President Abram W. Harris and Charles D. Woods, Professor of Agriculture and Director of the Experiment Station, decided that the university needed a club modeled on the Conversation Club they had belonged to at Wesleyan University. Both had served on the Wesleyan faculty, and a faculty Conversation Club had been in existence there since 1862. On April 6, 1897, Harris and Woods met with ten other faculty members and proposed the establishment of a club "for conversational purposes." Rules were drawn up and the membership was to be limited to 17, the number of faculty who were listed in the 1896-97 catalogue of professorial rank or its equivalent.
Language of Materials
The records of a social club of male faculty members.
The records are arranged by type of material. There are 4 folders containing minutes, 1 folder containing histories, 1 folder containing constitutions, 1 folder containing correspondence, and 1 folder containing miscellaneous materials.
- Constitutions Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lists Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Niben Club of Bangor, Maine
- Phi Kappa Phi. Chapter 1 (University of Maine)
- University of Maine -- Faculty -- Societies, etc.
- Guide to the University of Maine Conversation Club Records
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library University Archives Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States