John F. Kennedy's Visit to the University of Maine Collection
Scope and Contents
Materials include correspondence, telegrams, convocation program, press kit, and transcript of remarks of President Kennedy. Correspondence prior to the event includes letters to government officials helping to arrange the visit, including Maine's Governor John H. Reed, Senator Ed Muskie and Senator Margaret Chase Smith. Correspondence following the event include many letters congratulating President Lloyd Elliott on the success of the program, although some letters note that "in the eyes of some alumni and friends of the institution," the choice of Kennedy to receive an honorary degree was controversial. Information is included about a film that was produced to document Kennedy's visit, as well as President Elliott's remarks following President Kennedy's assassination.
- Majority of material found within 1963
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice is requested for retrieval.
Conditions Governing Use
Information on literary rights available in repository.
John F. Kennedy visited the campus of the University of Maine for a special convocation program on October 19, 1963, where he was awarded an honorary Doctor of Laws degree. Materials in the collection were created by members of the staff of the office of University of Maine President Lloyd H. Elliott. According to a press release included in the collection, "arrangements for President Kennedy's visit to the university were made by Senator Edmund S. Muskie, who felt that the State University was the logical site for a presidential address during the chief executive's visit to Maine for an inspection flight over the proposed Passamaquoddy Power project site."
0.5 linear feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Materials include correspondence, telegrams, convocation program, press kit, and transcript of remarks of President Kennedy and relating to his visit.
- Clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Degrees, Academic -- Maine -- Orono Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963
- Muskie, Edmund S., 1914-1996
- Press kits Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reed, John H. (John Hathaway), 1921-2012
- Smith, Margaret Chase, 1897-1995
- Souvenir programs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- John F. Kennedy's Visit to the University of Maine Collection
- Box And Folder List Available
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.