Faculty Records (University Of Maine). Briwa (Kathryn Elizabeth) Papers
Identifier: UA RG 0011-050
Scope and Contents of the Records
The record group contains personal correspondence, photographs, and a few Cooperative Extension publications related to Dr. Briwa’s career in the University of Maine's Cooperative Extension. The majority of the letters were written in recognition of her retirement in 1960.
- Majority of material found in 1960
- Briwa, Kathryn Elizabeth (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Restrictions on Use
Information on literary rights available in the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
Kathryn E. Briwa was a foods and nutrition specialist for the University of Maine Extension Service from 1941 until her retirement in 1960. She earned a B.A. degree from Vassar College and an M.A. and Ph.D. from Columbia University. She received a national Superior Service Award from the United States Department of Agriculture in 1960 for her work in promoting better nutrition, strengthening school lunch programs, training volunteer groups for wartime and emergency meal planning, and for pioneering work in group weight control.
10 box (Half size box)
Language of Materials
Arrangement of the Records
Original order of categories maintained; chronological within each category.
Gift of Helen Briwa and Dorothy Ball in 2005 and 2011.
Formerly SpC MS 1724.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Nutrition Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- School children -- Food Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Maine. Cooperative Extension
- Weight control Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University Of Maine. Briwa (Kathryn Elizabeth) Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for uncoded script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- October 13, 2020: Updated finding aid to be consistent with other University records