Academic Affairs. Dean Of Students. Maine Day (University Of Maine) Records
Scope and Contents
This record group mostly includes copies of programs from the annual University of Maine Maine Day celebration. The record group also contains information on the history of Maine Day and for some years there are newspaper clippings, scripts, photographs, correspondence, transparencies, and an audio tape from the 1965 Maine Day. There is also a commemorative badge for former University of Maine President Arthur Hauck with an image of Hauck and the message "58 Years in the Tradition of Service".
There is no content on Maine Day for 1942, 1943, 1966, 1969-1972, 1974, 1976-1979, 1981-1987, 1989, 1990, and 1994 onwards.
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department.
Biographical / Historical
Maine Day was established in 1935 by University of Maine President Arthur A. Hauck as a day for students to plant trees, build sidewalks, paint fences, and generally improve the campus. The purpose of the day changed over time, and in 1973 it became not just a day for improving student-faculty relations but also a day to aid worthwhile causes. In later years classes were cancelled so that students could participate in a day of work and fun.
Language of Materials
Arranged chronologically by year.
Box number has changed:
- Old Box #239 (New Box 1)
Accruals of Maine Day records are anticipated.
Formerly SpC MS 0566
Processed by volunteer Marian Dressler, August 2019, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and the creation of this finding aid. Material was rehoused into appropriate archival folders and the boxes and folders numbered and titled using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Audiotapes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hauck, Arthur A. (Arthur Andrew), 1893-1992
- Maine Day Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Plays (Performed works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Programs (Documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scripts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Transparencies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Maine
- University Of Maine. Maine Day Records
- Matthew Revitt
- August 20, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.