Discontinued Offices & Programs. Marine Laboratory At Lamoine (University Of Maine) Records
Scope and Contents
The record groups contains administrative records of the laboratory including correspondence, brochures, budget documents, publicity information and laboratory purchase orders. Much of the correspondence is that of Joseph M. Murray, director of the laboratory.
- University of Maine. Marine Biological Laboratory (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository..
The University of Maine Marine Laboratory at Lamoine began in 1926 with summer research done at Bar Harbor under the auspices of C.C. Little. In 1928 and 1929 the Bar Harbor facilities, leased for the summers, were not adequate and the private funds that Little had solicited dried up. Eventually the research was moved to the former U.S. Navy coaling depot at Lamoine beach, near Ellsworth. When Joseph Murray established the summer session there in 1935 it began to fulfill its real purpose. By 1939 a five-year plan for rehabilitation of the Maine fishing industry was in discussion and Lamoine was to be the headquarters for the effort. The central work was in marine invertebrate zoology. Park pressures for recreational use of the beach emerged at about the same time the session was reorganized. During the World War II some of the buildings were demolished for scrap and the facility was maintained only in a caretaker status. In 1949 the land was transferred back to the state for use as a park.
Language of Materials
- Brochures Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Marine biology -- Research -- Maine -- Lamoine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Purchase orders Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Zoology -- Maine -- Lamoine -- Research Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University Of Maine. Marine Laboratory At Lamoine Records
- Brenda Howitson Steeves
- July 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Edition statement
- Revised in September 2018 by archivist Matthew Revitt to be consistent with other UMaine record groups.