Student/Alumni Records. Class Of 1944 Advanced Infantry ROTC (University Of Maine) Records
Scope and Contents
The records mainly contain textual information created and compiled by Stephen L. Jacobs during his research project (1988-1994) on the University of Maine class of 1944. Mostly contains individual biographical profiles of members of the class including their service record and lives post World War II, there are also some photographs of specific class members, and cassette recordings of interviews with some of the class. Also, included are a binder of research material complied by Jacobs, reference material, details of his research process, and communications with Fogler Library regarding donating the research material to Special Collections. There are also copies of the project narrative that Jacobs wrote on his research and a floppy disc containing a manuscript of the narrative.
- Majority of material found within 1988-1994
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository..
Biographical / Historical
Stephen Jacobs was a member of the University of Maine class of 1944. He served as an infantry officer during World War II and in the National Guard after the War. He compiled and wrote a history of the "Class of 1944", which includes his biography and biographical information on his fellow class members who had served in the miliary during World War II. Jacobs presented on the results of his research project at the Class of 1944's 50th reunion dinner held on June 3, 1994.
2 boxes (2 (2 linear feet) (boxes))
Language of Materials
Physically the folders are arranged by subject with the biographical profiles of Class of 1944 members arranged in alphabetical order by last name.
Box numbers have changed:
- Old Box #1967 (New Box 1)
- Old Box #1968 (New Box 2)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Gift of Stephen L. Jacobs, 1994..
Accruals from Jacob's research project are not anticipated.
Publications About Described Materials
Formerly SpC MS 0516.
Processed by Matthew Revitt, September 2018, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and the creation of this finding aid. The material was rehoused into appropriate archival folders (where needed) and the boxes and folders numbered and titled added using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Floppy disks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manuscripts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Orders (Military records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Maine
- University of Maine. Class of 1944
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University Of Maine. Class Of 1944 Advanced Infantry ROTC Records
- Matthew Revitt
- September 16, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.