Faculty Records (University Of Maine). Professor Mengers (Marie Christiansen) Papers
Scope and Contents
Papers of University of Maine French professor Marie Christiansen Mengers. Included are correspondence, research notes, and lectures relating to the French poet Henri de Régnier (1864-1936). Correspondents include Jacques de Lacretelle, Claude Debussy, George Duhamel, and Henri de Régnier. Also included are copies of Mengers's M.A. and Ph.D. theses, an index to her Ph.D. thesis, unpublished manuscripts, and a copy of her book of poetry Nothing but Song.
Language of Material
Materials in English and French.
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
Marie Christiansen Mengers was born in 1905 in Philadelphia, Pa., and died in Orono, Maine in 1965. She was educated at the University of Nebraska, Wellesley College, Columbia University, and the University of Toulouse, France, and attended summer sessions at Harvard and Chicago Universities. Her doctoral dissertation was on the life of French symbolist poet Henri de Régnier. She was a professor of French at the University of Maine from 1947 until her death. Previously she had taught at the University of Nebraska, the University of Wisconsin, and Queens College in Flushing, N.Y.
1 box (Half size box)
Physically the boxes were rearranged to be arranged by subject. Some file names and dates were changed to make them more meaningful and to correct errors. Material was rehoused into archival quality storage.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Dr. Mengers' estate.
Accruals from Professor Mengers are not anticipated because she died in 1965.
Formerly SpC MS 0340.
Processed by Matthew Revitt, December 2018, Raymond H. Fogler Library Special Collections Department. Processing involved a collection survey and the creation of this finding aid. Boxes and folders were numbered and titled using information from ArchivesSpace.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Debussy, Claude, 1862-1918
- Dissertations Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Duhamel, George
- French literature -- 20th century -- Criticism and interpretation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lacretelle, Jacques de, 1888-1985
- Péguy, Charles, 1873-1914
- Poems Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Research (Document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Régnier, Henri de, 1864-1936
- Theses Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Typescipts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Maine -- Faculty
- University Of Maine. Professor Mengers (Marie Christiansen) Papers
- Matthew Revitt
- December 27, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Raymond H. Fogler Library University Archives Repository
5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono ME 04469-5729 United States