University of Maine, World War II: In Memoriam - A-D
Scope and Content Note
The record group contains correspondence, 1917-1918, of university president Robert J. Aley and registrar James A. Gannett with students serving in the military as well as correspondence of the alumni association in its effort to raise funds for a memorial building to be erected on campus. Biographical information about each student killed in the war is also found in the records.
The record group also contains correspondence, 1942-1945, of university president Arthur Hauck with students in the military, lists of students and alumni who served, copies of the volume "University of Maine, World War II: In Memoriam" and biographical information used to compile this volume. A card file for those who were called or recalled to service in the Korean War is also included.
There is material from a reunion for veterans of the University of Maine Army Specialized Training Program held on September 28 & 29, 2001.
Box 6 contains a letter from Warren B. Randall in 1994 regarding the fact that Mike Habern's name had been previously misspelt in the Memorial Book. The letter had been in the files of former head of special collections Richard Hollinger and was transferred to the Library Annex in 2021.
Boxes 8-11 contain war register forms compiled by the University of Maine of students who served in World War I and World War II. The forms contain biographical details including their service dates.
Boxes 12 & 13 contain World War II era propaganda from Allies and Axis powers and European countries.
- Creation: 1897-2001
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1917-1950
- From the Record Group: Aley, Robert J. (Robert Judson), 1863-1935 (Person)
- From the Record Group: Gannett, James (Person)
- From the Record Group: Hauck, Arthur A. (Arthur Andrew), 1893-1992 (Person)
- From the Record Group: British Library of Information (New York, N.Y.) (Organization)
- From the Record Group: British Information Services (Organization)
Collection kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
From the Record Group: 5 boxes
From the Record Group: 8 boxes (Half size boxes)
Language of Materials
- Abbott, Donald Weare (Person)
- Agostinelli, Kitan Anthony (Person)
- Albert, Roland Laurier (Person)
- Austin, Erwin Grover (Person)
- Balkam, Marshall Edwin (Person)
- Barrows, Edward Pomeroy (Person)
- Beckett, Charles Louis (Person)
- Boulos, Joseph Sebastian (Person)
- Bourgoin, Raoul Joseph (Person)
- Bradley, Jr., James Vincent (Person)
- Brautlecht, Robert Andrew (Person)
- Briggs, Frederick Olson (Person)
- Buck, Jr., Leland Stanford (Person)
- Burke, Ernest Avard (Person)
- Cheney, Philip Dana (Person)
- Chick, Richard Loring (Person)
- Cogswell, Jr., Fred Melville (Person)
- Colby, John Seagrave (Person)
- Cole, Virgil Erwin (Person)
- Commerford, Edward Maurice (Person)
- Couri, Arthur Robert (Person)
- Crabtree, Robert Sammon (Person)
- Craig, William Henry (Person)
- Crockett, John Lawrence (Person)
- Day, Harland Elmore (Person)
- Detwyler, Richard Elroy (Person)
- Dougherty, Joseph Roy (Person)
- Dow, Clarence Pearl (Person)
- Dow, James Frederick (Person)
- Doyle, Jr., Edward Houlton (Person)
- Dunbar, Roger Prince (Person)
- Dunn, Charles Eldridge (Person)
- Dyer, Jr., Hamilton Higgins (Person)