Lakewood Theater Programs Collection
Identifier: SpC MS 0286
Scope and Contents
This is a collection of materials concerning the productions of the Lakewood Theater. It consists mostly of programs, clippings, brochures, and scrapbooks. There are no theater business records included.
- Lakewood Theatre Company (Skowhegan, Me.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Kept at Fogler Library's offsite storage facility. One week's notice required for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Information on literary rights available in the repository.
The Lakewood Resort on Wesserunsett Lake near Skowhegan, Maine, was begun by Herbert Swett in 1895. The theater began in 1901 with the production of "Private Secretary" and has run continuously since then (with he exception of 1984). The Bealls Lakewood Musical Stock Company, associated with the theater, was begun in 1916. The guest cottages were built in 1923, the Country Club in 1926 and the present Inn in 1927. In 1967, the Maine State Legislature resolved that the Lakewood Theater is the Official Theater of the state of Maine. Curtain Up Enterprises (since 1993) owns and operates the theater.
4 linear feet (2 boxes)
7 folio items
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Actors Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Actresses Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Brochures Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Playbills Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Programs (Documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Theater -- Maine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Lakewood Theater Programs Collection
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note